Former excavation area


The first unsystematic excavations on the site of the "Hunnenring" took place in 1883 in the vicinity of the spring and the main wall.


After that, more than 50 years passed before the first systematic investigations were carried out between 1936-39. Here, apart from the uncovering of the gatehouse and a - failed - excavation of the north wall, the excavators studied an extensive 3000 m² area in the region to the south of the present refuge.




Numerous holes from construction posts bear witness to a multi-stage settlement here in the 2nd and 1st centuries B.C.. The half-timbered houses served either as storehouses or living accommodation.

                  


Finds of shards of ceramic objects, spinning whorls, iron slag, iron tools such as knives, axes, hammers, drills, a number of coins etc. provide an insight into the everyday life and craftsmanship skills of the inhabitants.

Excavated sections suggest that a settlement in other parts of the interior area can also be assumed.


The entire excavation area covered only 3% of the total interior area. Thus, numerous important questions regarding the significance and function of the site, its date of origin, its settlement structure etc. remain unanswered. To answer these questions is the task of the current scientific excavations....